Wednesday, February 18, 2009

"sola westminster confession"

Lately, I've been pondering the use and misuse of the Westminster Confession (and various catechisms) within Reformed circles. I'm finding more and more people are arguing theological points from these useful (but ultimately man-made) documents. Never would I suggest that using confessional statements is wrong; on the contrary, we have used these resources for centuries and I would not advise abandoning them now. But we must remember that the Westminster Confession are ultimately summaries of key points that originate in the Scriptures. In some of my discussions with people from Reformed backgrounds, it seems that the Bible is bypassed entirely, and points are made and believed on the basis that "Well, the Westminster Confession says..." But these works are not the "be all, end all" to our debates, which means we can't argue from the Confession as if it is the final authority.

Steve Wilkins does a much better job discussing this than me, so definitely check out the link to his blog.

No comments:

Labels