Friday, October 31, 2008

roommate memories

I am now weddinged-out. Since July, I have been in three weddings, one involving a childhood friend and two involving former roommates. Thankfully, for all three, I had very good memories so when given the chance to offer a few remarks on the occasion, I usually had a lot to say. Even for this last one. Erin and I were roommates about four years ago, but we still kept in touch over the years. So I was more than honored that she wanted me to be a bridesmaid in her wedding. Especially given, as you will read below, the kind of relationship we had during our roommate years. Note my effort to be sweet while avoiding sappiness. I think it worked. But you be the judge.
***********
It could possibly be billed as the understatement of the year, but Erin, you and I are very different people. When we first met, in August of 2004, I was a 20-year-old exuberant Canadian, opinionated and proud of it. You were a shy, blond senior, preparing for your fourth and final year of school, as well as your fourth and final roommate. Our relationship could have been fated for disaster. But for some odd and mysterious reason, it wasn’t. For some reason, we got along. Sure, we had our differences; sure, there were times when we disagreed strongly with each other, but that never stopped us from building a truly close relationship. And, as is the case with truly great relationships, we both changed because of it. I became more understanding of people with different opinions. I used to be an extremely dogmatic person, with a “my-infinitely-more-Christian-way or the highway” attitude. But you changed that. You helped me realize that there are other opinions out there and often, they prove mine to be wrong. But you changed, too. You went from a quiet girl, to one who yelled as she chased me down the stairs, brandishing a pillow as I imagine Beowulf would (if he were into pillow fights). Erin, you were the perfect roommate for that pivotal freshman year, the year where new habits are formed and old habits are reconsidered. And I thank you for it. I do believe that I would probably not be the person I am today, if it hadn’t been for that glorious year, when the two of us shared so much in the Nance’s basement.

And I’ll leave you with this verse, from Song of Songs 5:16—“This is my beloved, And this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem!” Erin, you have been a wonderful friend to me. You have blessed me more than I can say. Now, as you go on to start a new life with Chip, I know that you will do the same for him. You will bless him. You will change him. And you will be his true friend. May the Lord pour His blessings upon you both.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

So, I'm thinking that if I get married, and if you say anything sappy at my rehearsal dinner, i'm throwing stuff at you.
Done and done.

Labels